Date(s) - 03/28/2017
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Rescued Furnishings and Designs
Join fellow St. Louis City enthusiasts at our first Metropolis Wine Club event of 2017! This month, taste and learn about wine from Portugal while mingling in a new local retail shop near Lafayette Square.
Giving new life to old things is the mantra of Rescued Furnishings & Designs. Owners Nicole & Brandt, who left their engineering jobs to make rescuing old things full time, have a new retail shop filled with re-envisioned home decor, furniture and curiosities. Moreover, in the back of their shop they teach others some of their tricks of the trade. Do not miss this great night of wine, networking and celebrating this new addition to STL urban shopping! For more information about the venue and to shop online check out their website www.rescuedfurnishings.com
Wine Program for the evening:
The wine for the evening will focus on the grapes that are identified with Port wine. Port is a sweet wine with flavors of raspberry, blackberry, caramel, cinnamon and chocolate depending on the style. The two primary styles of Port include a red Port with berry and chocolate flavors and a tawny colored Port with caramel and nut flavors. True Port is a unique blend of primarily five Portuguese indigenous grapes. Portugal’s iconic wine helps define the Douro region of Northern Portugal but is only half of the wines available in Portugal. We want to use the wine tasting club as an opportunity to educate on the classic grapes and styles of Portugal and Port wine as well as the global identity of a traditional winter fortified wine.
For the first wine club event of 2017 we are trying something new!
We will be holding a focused tasting class at the beginning of the evening for those interested in learning more about and tasting Port wine! So show up early for a little Port 101 with Craig Adams, Sommelier and owner of Vino Vitae here in St. Louis. The class will run from 6:30pm to 7:00pm or until the reserve tasting bottles are gone.
Cost to attend is simply a bottle of Portugal wine or food that pairs with Portugal wines according to the suggested wine and educational profile for the evening (see notes below).
- A Fortified Wine from Portugal – White, Red or Rose’ Port or Tawny Port
- A Non-Fortified Wine from Portugal – Red Variety or Blend: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tonta Cao, etc. White Wine: Alvarinho, Malvasia, Verdelho, Viosinho, etc.
- Desert Wine: Moscatel or Muscat grape and Moscatel Galego Branc
- A wine containing Tempranillo (Tinta Roriz) from Portugal (Acceptable to bring one from Spain, California or another Region if not able to locate anything else)
If unable to bring wine, please bring food to taste and pair with the wine to enhance the program.
- Flavors of Blackberries, Raspberries, Caramel, Cinnamon, Chocolate, Nuts, Butterscotch or Figs.
- Cheese: Strong Cheeses like Stilton, Gloucester or Blue.
- Meats: Sweet or Smoky, Cured or barbecue.
- Vegetables: Any Roasted vegetables
- Other Dish ideas: Dishes with tomato based sauces, polenta/corn based dishes, Mexican dishes.
Note: We plan to open only wines that fit into the program. Any wines that are outside of the recommendation will be used for future tastings, classes or events.
We could use several volunteers to check people in, set up, clean up, and pour wine. It’s a great way to meet everyone at the event. If you would like one of these opportunities, and can get there at 6:00 pm, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
- Please reserve a ticket that identifies if you will be bringing a bottle of wine or a plate of food to share.
- You may only sign up for yourself and one guest max. Other friends need to sign up separately. You will be asked to give you and your guest’s first and last name and e-mail addresses on the sign-up page.
- We prefer finger foods, but if your food needs need utensils or platters, bring them. Please do not bring “bagged” snacks such as pretzels or potato chips without bringing a vessel to put them in.
- When in doubt about bringing wine or food, bring food. We generally come up short in this area.
- Please bring wine pre-chilled and ready to drink.
- 21 years old and older only.
- Feel free to come alone. This is a networking event. Meet new people!
- Please arrive on time. It’s not fashionable to be late at these events. We need your wine and food in the beginning of the evening. But don’t arrive before the event starts at 6:30 pm unless you are a volunteer.